Slow Roasted Brisket with Red Wine Gravy and Winter Vegetables
A super easy roast for Easter, Feeds 6-8 preparation time 20 minutes, cooking time 5 hours.
2kg piece of Brisket
3 small onions quartered
5 large carrots, chopped into large chunks (roughly 3inches)
2 sticks of celery
3 cloves of garlic left whole
300g of button mushrooms
½ a bottle of red wine (we used Yellow Tail’s Jammy Red Roo)
300ml of beef stock
2 tablespoons of plain flour
2 teaspoons of dried thyme
3 bay leaves
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
Salt and pepper
1) Season your flour with lots of salt and pepper and roll your beef in it, covering it completely with a light dusting, this will thicken the sauce whilst the beef is cooking.
2) Next heat your casserole dish on a medium heat and add the oil. Brown the beef on all sides and set aside.
3) Now add all the vegetables, except the mushrooms and fry gently for approximately 5 minutes.
4) Add your garlic, thyme and bay leaves and replace your beef on top of the vegetables.
5) Add the stock and wine, cover and place in a preheated oven, gas mark 3, 170 degrees Celsius for 2 hours then turn the joint over for the remaining 2-3 hours, adding your mushrooms with one hour of cooking time left.
6) Leave the beef to rest for 20 minutes after cooking for a butter soft texture.